   Re: [xml-dev] [SUMMARY #1] Why is there little usage of XML on the 'visi

> AJAX is changing things. A typical AJAX page cannot be easily searched
> or indexed. The programmatic nature of the page prohibits this unless
> the search engine is going to try executing the javascript to get the
> final page.
>
> Even worse is that the pages often can't be printed so the browser may
> be able to display the page, but it's internal model is inadequate for
> repeated representation and hence printing. Scary.

Yes,  most Ajax I am seeing should be considered harmful. Using ajax
for something that could be easily done with a traditional web
application is misuse of the technology, probably ajaxian techniques
should only be used for applications that are secure and meant to be
non-indexable.

Another thing, people always complain about the back button breaking,
and if an ajax application or toolkit fixes this back-button breakage
it is lauded as being very well thought out. I'm tired of it, I'd like
ones that didn't break either the forward or back button. That would
a better application. Or one that worked with all my bookmarklets and
browser plugins. Hmm I guess that will never happen. I am starting to
think that Ajax has very quickly overshot the mark of what makes the
technique useful, into what makes it harmful, and in about another 3-4
months everyone is going to be complaining.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen