   RE: [xml-dev] [SUMMARY #1] Why is there little usage of XML on the'visib

On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 23:57 +0100, Michael Kay wrote:
> Since about 1993 there has never been a window of time in which new
> technologies could be rapidly adopted client-side; it has always been
> necessary to wait a few years until a significant proportion of the
> installed base of browsers supported the technology in question.

I think xml will be truly doomed if its basic application is always
thought of as being inside somebody else's hypertext browser.

One would think that if there is a future direction then it needs to
focus on being more closely with current database technology etc.

Where I am in the business world, there is so much data. It's
unbelievable. Everybody in the field tells me that only 10% of it can be
processed because there is just too much. The number of CDs full of data
that just get thrown in the bin is incredible. No, it isn't in xml but
ten minutes in a cruncher and it could be.

The feedback from my small group of customers is that they tell me that
they don't want the data in the browser, they want it in a database
where they can use it.

If people can't find xml data on the web, maybe they should consider
learning how to make some up.

This whole topic is much like saying that the forest could never grow
because all the trees are killing it. That's how it seems to read to me.

Take care

David