   Re: [xml-dev] [SUMMARY #1] Why is there little usage of XML on the 'visi

>  > Even worse is that the pages often can't be printed so the browser may
>  > be able to display the page, but it's internal model is inadequate for
>  > repeated representation and hence printing. Scary.
>
> The concept of page is outdated and innapropiate for AJAX applications.
The concept of page I suppose is equivalent to the concept of a
resource. This concept is integral to the functionality of the web.

> Ajax applications use state machines. Is not a page but a state.

Don't most traditional web applications do their flow as an FSM ? With
the different states represented by resources. Continuations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuation
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-contin.html
http://rifers.org/wiki/display/RIFE/Web+continuations

> The history buttons is designed for non-dynamic websites.

Can you provide me a link to a browser manufacturer saying something
like We designed the back button for non-dynamic websites? I thought
the back button existed to allow one to navigate along one's history.
same with the forward button, see continuations above.

> On a dynamic
> website the concept "back" can be wrong. Think about a website shop
> with credit card payment. Can you go back and undo a payment?. You can
> do back, and often break poorly coded sites.

poorly coded being the operative term.
> Its a problem. The way the history work, Is something the browser
> manage, and is somewhat unknow or readonly to the application. But a
> application need a readwrite history, and able to overload events on
> the back/forward buttons. Because the actual design forbid the webpage
> to control back/forward.. we are stuck on a usability problem. I dont
> see a solution here.

see continuations above.
> Of course, we can still code to detect the user returning with the
> back button, then avoid resending INSERT INTO, and other
> non-repeteable actions. But the original problem is not fixed, so will
> attack elsewhere..  on AJAX apps where "back" is even harder to code.
> Example: often you can fuzzy Gmail with the back button on the
> Epiphany webbrowser :D

It sounds like you agree Ajaxian practice breaks the user's
application manager (the browser).

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen