   Re: [xml-dev] CLAX - Client-side functionality

At 09:08 24/07/2006, Julian Reschke wrote:
Thanks Julian,
I am glad to see that lynx is still active.

As you will see from my last post I think we  need to address
CLAX  without browsers so unless this solves the question of
installing XSLT functionality perhaps this should move to another thread.

Best

P.

>Elliotte Harold schrieb:
>>peter murray-rust wrote:
>>
>>>- I cannot send a client an XML document and an XSLT stylesheet
>>>and expect them to process it without further instructions
>>>dependent on their environment.
>>I don't think this is true any more. The only current browser I
>>know of that doesn't support XSLT is lynx. Perhaps an important
>>one, so two questions:
>>1. Besides lynx, which other browsers do not support XSLT?
>>2. Is lynx stopping you from sending XML+XSLT to browsers?
>>If the answer to 1 is "none" and the answer to 2 is "Yes", then
>>what's really needed is an effort to add XSLT to lynx. Shouldn't
>>actually be that hard. We just need to transform the document and
>>then pass it into lynx's regular HTML renderer.
>
>I agree with these points, but I'd like to add some more questions:
>
>3. Does the XSLT implementation have a fully working node-set
>extension (AFAIK right now, only IE does).
>
>4. Are there any plans to upgrade the browser engine to XSLT 2.0
>(AFAIK,  nobody is planning that, and I'd really like to understand why).
>
>Best regards, Julian

Peter Murray-Rust
Unilever Centre for Molecular Sciences Informatics
University of Cambridge,
Lensfield Road,  Cambridge CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069