   Re: [xml-dev] CLAX - Client-side functionality

> 0 - browsers are not required at any point and it may be helpful if
> we assume that the client environment does not have one.
> 1 - the client environment is managed by an intelligent human who is
> capable of and willing to following instructions to install a system
> but who wishes to do little or no programming.
>
> As an example, take only on the second and third steps.  I could do
> something like:
> java -jar saxon.jar -o file://usr/pmr/a123.cml
> http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=28309&disopt=DisplayXML
> http://foo.org/pubchem2cml.xsl
> cmlVersion=2.5
> (I am not sure if Saxon resolves URLs but it shows the logic)

I see this as a serie of scripts

$ clax-create pubchem -url
http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=CLAX_PARAM1&disopt=DisplayXML
$ clax-config pubchem -xsl http://foo.org/pubchem2cml.xsl
$ clax-get pubchem -p1 28309 -o file://usr/pmr/a123.cml

this help hide implementation details (java, saxon, etc.), and follow
the apt-get / svn  succesfull style. SVN even store auth keys, so
communication can be private trough ssl. Hiding implementations
details can help If you ever switch from java to python.