   Re: [xml-dev] [SUMMARY #1] Why is there little usage of XML on the 'visi

Rick Jelliffe said:

> Obviously XML is capable of representing the information. (Almost any
> syntax can.) Obviously modeling more than toy versions of human
> technologies (typesetting, mathematics, chemistry) is not trivial.
> Obviously there are tradeoffs, and deciding to make some things easy may
>  in fact make other things hard. And, most obviously, when people master
>  an existing tool, they can be loathe to adopt another. Consequently
> there will always be people who aren't served optimally or adequately by
>  any single standard.  That is why plurality is important. That a
> technology is not perfect just means it is a human technology.

Completely agree. I like alternative approaches compiting in equality of
conditions. Others no and reason that emphasize usage of specific
technologies they like.

> I'm with Peter, in that I had expected there would be more of a
> profusion of domain-specific browsers.

What one? for instance why a MathML native browser? why not just a
OpenMath browser? Why a CML browser? Why a XHTML browser? Etc.

Take a simple field academic -publishing on physical chemistry- would
users install a dozen of domain-specific browsers for accesing to
information: STMML, UnitsML, OpenMath extensions, p-MathML, c-MathML,
XHTML, XSLT, XSL-FO, ThermoML, CML...

All of that assuming that information _is good_ I have noticed some
academic journals of physics are serving {ds}^2 as 2s ds when using MathML
for the encoding.

> Cheers
> Rick Jelliffe

Juan R.