   RE: [xml-dev] Clustering Customization Vs Global Standards

I breeze past that stuff.  Anyone who has yet to start understanding the
chaos model in real time systems slept through the last decade and a
half.  On the other hand, applications of it are only now really hitting
the mainstream.

The trick is to see the same pattern in the different domains.  Because
many people can't think at that level of abstraction, the hype works on
them.  As I said, most of the 'history of the web' reads like
Scientology.

Is OASIS really 'greater than the Beatles'?  Only in a certain locale
and demographic.  Understanding the power of locales as a means to
identify a self-organizing ecology that competes with neighboring
ecologies, then abstracting that to a feedback-mediated control system
for directing their evolution is the key 'meme' of the last decade, but
the ideas are old as dirt or at least, as old as steam engines.  They
get their formal treatment in our fields when Norbert Wiener et al began
to collaborate.  They get their management popularity in silly books
like "The Tipping Point".

They become truly scary as we implement sensor webs and automate the
response of bots based on semantic tensors.

len

From: Ian Graham [mailto:ian.graham@utoronto.ca]

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> http://hbsworkingknowledge.hbs.edu/item.jhtml?id=5387&t=finance
> <http://hbsworkingknowledge.hbs.edu/item.jhtml?id=5387&t=finance>

This is interesting, but I find it hard to take seriously an article
that begins with an annoyingly overblown statement like:

" ... that a radical new view sees economics as a highly dynamic and
evolving system ... "

This 'radical new view' is kinda old hat. But I guess it helps sell to
people who haven't cracked open any economics books or articles in a
while....