Re: [xml-dev] Re: Recognizing the contribution of the developers of XML

--- Rick Marshall <rjm@zenucom.com> wrote:

> One of my favourites ;)
>
> cpu hogging is a very personal thing. If the
> processor has nothing else
> to do it doesn't matter - unless you're running on a
> battery about to go
> flat :(

Yeah, but when parsing XML, CPU always has plenty to
do! ;-D

More specifically, what I am saying is that time saved
in transfer (less bandwidth to use) may be offset by
latency caused by compression codec. So you trade-off
networking overhead to processing overhead. This has
been observed by recent measurements, Wolfgang H for
one can comment more on this.

Of course, if you can compress things ahead of time,
and may not need to decompress immediately, this
tradeoff may work well. So for speculative transfers
(cache/cluster updates) it could work well.

-+ Tatu +-