Re: [xml-dev] Generic XML Tag Closer </> (GXTC)

 [ oops, I just realised I sent it to the OP in private, so
   I resend it to the list, sorry ]

James Fuller wrote:

> Michael Kay wrote:

> > It would have no impact at all on XSLT or XPath, since
> > it only changes the lexical representation of XML and
> > not the data model.

> no doubt saxon would be the first to elegantly implement
> such a change, though I am still laughing at the 'it
> *only* changes the lexical representation'....bit and how
> much work I would have to do and fix my perl/bash scripts.

  Saxon will not need to change.  The XML parser(s) it uses,
yes, but not Saxon.  Not even the serializer, until the XSLT
REC changes.

  Of course, if you change the definition of what is
well-formed, you have to change the parsers.  But because
the Infoset remainds unchanged, the users of the parsers
don't need to change (for example Perl scripts, Shell
scripts, etc.).

  Regards,

--drkm

 p4.vert.ukl.yahoo.com uncompressed/chunked Fri Aug 18 13:13:40 GMT 2006

http://fr.answers.yahoo.com