RE: [xml-dev] SGML complexity

natyoung - Artizen at Cisco\ said:
> Hi.
>
>> Sure that figures _only_ assure us that there exist more
>> books on PHP or
>> JS than XSLT on Amazon database.
>>
>> But it is an usual practice in many fields sizing the
>> activity/popularity
>> in a field from the quantity of stuff is being written about.
>
> It's usual practice in all kinds of fields, especially politics, but
> more generally anywhere that uninformed public opinion is assumed to
> matter, to choose and present slices of data primarily on the basis of
> how well they fit your agenda.
>
> The three things I've seen argued on this list where a variety of
> stastical garbage has been mustered in support of subjective viewpoints
> are:
>  - XSLT is more/less powerful than (technology X)
>  - XSLT is more/less easy to learn than (technology X)
> and now:
>  - XSLT is more/less popular than (technology X)
>
> What would we gain by proving a particular answer to any of the above
> questions, even assuming such proof was possible?
>
> ---->N

I will remember you each time i heard viewpoints, specially when becoming
from the W3C (all of next is indexed by Google):

Use CSS when you can, use XSL when you must.

The reason is that CSS is much easier to use, easier to learn, thus easier
to maintain and cheaper.

While XHTML 1.0 is a powerful language, support for the full XHTML 1.0
feature set may be too much to expect browsers on cell phones and other
small devices to handle.

XSLT is cool and powerful

It's important to understand that it's much more than just a styling
language, and that it's vastly more powerful than CSS (or even CSS2).

Anyone using XML can now take advantage of XSLT, a powerful new tool for
manipulating, converting or styling documents

Web services are a direct outgrowth of XML's popularity.

Ikivo Animator 2.0 is expected to ship by the end of July and Ikivo are
committed to update the tool further as the popularity of SVG Tiny 1.2
content develops.

One of the main reasons given for dsssl failing ever to be really popular
was its use of scheme lisp syntax. It's immediate descendent, XSLT which
uses a far more verbose XML syntax has ended up being perhaps the most
successful new programming language introduced in recent years and is
probably the most widely installed programming language ever.

Tools and easier internationalization are crucial reasons for XML's
popularity.

Much like the world wide adoption of HTML, MathML has grown in popularity
due to it's implementation across a wide range of products.

Some XML software providers, such as DataChannel and Bluestone Software,
are touting XML and HTTP as a Web component model. Bluestone executives
believes XML's ease of use will quickly make it more popular than CORBA,
EJB, and COM.

<Etc/>

Juan R.

Center for CANONICAL |SCIENCE)