RE: [xml-dev] SGML complexity

How did this troll get so successful?

As far as I can tell there are only three substantive points:

 - XML is more verbose than some other markup languages
 - XSL may not be the best choice for every programming task
 - XSL may or may not be a programming language

The first two points are widely accepted.

The third has been argued here in a much more intelligent and friendly
(!!) way in the past, with the fact that XSL is a declarative language
weighing off against the fact that it is Turing complete (or is it?  I
seem to remember a thread spinning off with respect to this point as
well)

As far as I am aware, those high quality conversations did not end up in
a provable answer to the question "is XSL a programming language" nor
did they even conclude in a widely held consensus.

In any case, by taking two obvious statements and a permathread,
bundling them in with a bunch of inflammatory statements, personal
attacks, unsupported assertions, and a general lack of clarity, an
individual has managed to propagate a very healthy thread ("healthy" in
terms of number of messages and number of words typed by humans)

Trolls in training take note :)

||:.

Nathan Young
Cisco.com->Interface Development