Re: [xml-dev] SGML complexity

juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com wrote:
> Philippe Poulard said:
>
>>juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com wrote:
>>
>>>That i said is that you cannot use XSLT (at least 1.0) for the menu in
>>>the _final_ doc,  you _may_ use JS.
>>>
>>>Therefore here XSLT is lacking functionality. Is not?
>>
>>not at all : this is not a lack of functionality of XSLT, it is a lack
>>of functionality of the navigator ;
>

> So far as i know XSLT was designed to be a -programming- language for
> static transformations:
>
> [http://www.xml.com/pub/a/1999/05/xsl/xslconsidered_1.html?page=3].
>
> Therefore, you cannot change the DOM in a full dinamical way as i can do
> today with a JS linked to a (X)HTML doc. XSLT is lacking functionality
> already available on JS, PHP, ASP, and the next.

If I had enough time to waste, I would design a navigator that would
work as I explained before, but instead of replacing the old document by
the new one produced with XSLT, it would make a 'diff' and replace only
the parts that changed in the DOM
Thus, it is possible to change the DOM : the result of calling the
onmouseover="<xsl:call-template>" in that hypothetic silly
implementation is the same than with javascript ; it has even the great
advantage to perform changes without specifying if it is an update, a
removal, a creation, or a mix of these low-level operations

What you can do with XSLT also relies on the host system

> Therein that a new approach is being launched. From
> 1.5. Relationship to XSLT on [http://www.w3.org/TR/xbl/]:

> XSLT operates on a static DOM, permanently replacing that DOM for
> rendering. XBL, on the other hand, transparently transforms the DOM for
> rendering while leaving the underlying structure intact, and dynamically
> reflects changes to the underlying DOM in the transformed rendering.
>
> Probably up-down menus and other dinamical stuff in XML docs I can do via
> PHP or JS -but cannot do with XSLT- will be easily done via future XBL. It
> appears a promising approach, it is broadly supported by Mozilla and a
> version of binding language for SVG (sXBL) is being defined.

recall :

--
Cordialement,

               ///