Re: [xml-dev] Open XML Markup Compatibility

On 9/12/06, Fraser Goffin <goffinf@hotmail.com> wrote:
> A while back I posted a question about use of the Must Ignore Unknown
> (retain/discard) pattern described (primarily) by David Orchard as an
> approach to processing XML instances containing allowable content that MAY
> be ignored by a receiver if that content is 'not understood' (see below for
> original post).
>
> One aspect of this which troubled me slightly was how the communicating
> parties agree on what content can/should be ignored and what content
> can/should be retained.

I guess that depends on how you publish. If the publishing is done as
a pull, as resources that others can access then the publisher doesn't
have to worry about how the receiver decides to ignore content.

If it is push the publisher and receiver must have an agreement mechanism.

globally speaking, pull scales better because it lends itself better
to being loosely joined.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen