RE: [xml-dev] XML-DEV list

At 02:44 PM 9/28/2006, Len Bullard wrote:
>As I said elsewhere, look at ISO 10744 which is about as exhaustive a work
>as I've encountered, but it isn't easy sledding, so look at what Elliot
>wrote about it.

         Read it. All of it. For the third time. I like HyTime, a
lot. It informed XLink development on a number of levels, and by
proxy, will inform my current efforts.

>BTW:  in personal recollection, the numbers that came down on the side of
>attaching semantics via style sheets in hypertext systems was approximately
>three to one.  One might ask why and the only answer I was given was it was
>convenient and that might have something to do with the order of processing.

         I don't think semantics can adequately be attached in
stylesheets. I think rendering can, but that's a wholly different animal.

         I think that, just as we're looking at two camps, we're also
looking at two different ideas: 1) Making CSS do good things with
links, in the XLink conceptual model. 2) Making a way for all the
various linking specs to get along and share a common foundation,
from which linking applications (as in, programs -and- XML
applications) can be built.

         As an aside...

>When I finally watch the series finale, I'll know.  I guess I could look it
>up in Wikipedia (well, I know Spike rejoins them but...) but that ruins the
>entertainment value.

         The DVDs for it are worth buying, if only for the outtakes.
Those people were having a lot of fun. :^)

--->Ben