Re: [xml-dev] (In)Validate My Assumptions on Linking.

At 19:55 28/09/2006, Ben Trafford wrote:

>At 02:44 PM 9/28/2006, Len Bullard wrote:
>>As I said elsewhere, look at ISO 10744 which is about as exhaustive a work
>>as I've encountered, but it isn't easy sledding, so look at what Elliot
>>wrote about it.
>
>         Read it. All of it. For the third time. I like HyTime, a
> lot. It informed XLink development on a number of levels, and by
> proxy, will inform my current efforts.

I am sure Ben has it covered but two of the important concepts (or
perhaps one) are the compound document and the hyperdocument (which I
think is the same as a bounded object set). In other words I want to
be able to create a set of links that define an information object
and send those links to a human or machine. Typical examples are an
XHTML page with embedded objects (images, maths, chemistry) - is this
a compound document? and a complete directory or other structure (BOS).

Obviously this requires something way beyond CSS...

P.

Again I compliment ben on his energy and commitment. This will not be
easy but it will be immensely valuable. I suspect it will be useful
to have some regular offerings even if these don't cover all the
aspects. And we certainly won't all get everything we want.

(The Subjects appear to have got forked so I am resetting this one)

Peter Murray-Rust
Unilever Centre for Molecular Sciences Informatics
University of Cambridge,
Lensfield Road,  Cambridge CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069