Re: [xml-dev] The Link King

At 04:56 03/10/2006, Dave Pawson wrote:
>Len Bullard wrote:
>>http://drmacros-xml-rants.blogspot.com/
>>
>>This is the blog of the Link King.  (ooh... a pun).  He may be reclusive but
>>he isn't dead yet.
>
> From which, and picking up on Nathans thread.
>
>I like the idea of metadata in the link endpoint document indicating
>that 'source.xml' links to this document. Assists in not screwing links.
>
>Peter, as well as link types, what information do you need to know
>about a link
>to present it in a suitable manner?

I am not generally concerned with presentation. In general CML is
processed without emitting photons to humans. I use XML as a language
to represent types and structure of information. It *may* be rendered
but often it is not.

This is not a comprehensive list but I have things like:

<molecule id="m1>... atoms ... </molecule>
<molecule ref="m1">
effectively the same as a Java reference. I need molecule m1 at this
stage but I don't want to copy it:

<map role="spectrumAnnotation">
   <link fromType="atom" from="a1" toType="peak" to="p1"/>
</map>
says that atom a1 corresponds to peak p1. Or p1 is annotated by
saying it is "caused by", "explained by" etc a1

and then I want a linkbase that defines a bounded hyperdocument. I
pick up the index document and get everything else

>I.e. is there a required/optional set of link properties that would assist in
>your particular usage (presentation I believe is your issue)?

No - presentation can be done with normal stylesheets. Semantic
annotation is what I care about. What does it mean, not what does it
look like to a human.

>Peter pointed out that it might be useful to know that the link target is
>a document (can be dereferenced?) as apposed to a car (RDF links?).

I am also (and perhaps more) concerned with elements within a document.

>Perhaps 'last validated' with a date, to address stale links?

Important - but not top priority for me. if links are first class
elements then all elements should be validatable in some way