RE: [xml-dev] Victory has been declared in the schema wars ...

Advocates for that language would develop it using the RNG schema as the
normative reference.  That doesn't mean they would use it for their parsing
engine.   X3D vendors don't do that with XSD even with the informative
schema available.  One vendor provides it as an optional batch validator.

The idea that I think Elliotte got right because I see it elsewhere is that
the W3C is no longer considered the sole source for web specifications.  I'm
a purist in that I don't think they ever were a source for standards but I
have a narrower definition for that then some so it's a quibble.  But the
time of the W3C having any kind of morally majestic lock on the evolution of
the web is over even if it only really ever existed as a perception in some
majority of players.  Now that RELAX is coming from ISO, once the bad guys
of the same players, they want to move to RELAX probably for different
reasons.  The only 3D standard for the web comes from ISO while there are
specifications from a half-dozen players and more to come now that IBM and
others have decided to use Linden Labs as their proxy with a possible goal
being more leverage for more patents in respective portfolios.  The quest
for leverage using the standards game, the quest for patent leverage using
multiple product hegemonies and organizations (eg, ECMA) goes on unabated.

These are not a quest for global interoperability.  These use
interoperability (a system characteristic, not a data characteristic) among
the users of some given system as a means to attain market goals.  No one is
out of that game.  Only the motives vary.  Of those, the one that I find
does the most good for the most people most of the time is royalty-free
unencumbered specifications and standards because that lets the most people
play most of the time and that is the most good in my opinion.  Otherwise,
sources don't matter; costs do and quality without doubt affects costs.

Of course, quality is a polymorph.  Co-existing alternatives is the only
non-violent solution.  Better not to war at all.

len