Re: [xml-dev] Victory has been declared in the schema wars ...

Henri Sivonen wrote:

>>> I think not having a normative schema for HTML5 is a very good idea.
>>
>> I don't think so.
>
> Why not? Isn't it good that a schema can freely be improved to more
> closely meet the normative prose?

I don't think that this (ability to extend schema for your own purposes)
contradicts with existence of a normative schema.

You need schema for dozen of other things than validation. For example,
XML editors can be driven by schema to provide more comfortable data
entry to users.

> Suppose the schemas James Clark wrote for XHTML 1.0 had been normative.
> Would it have been good it Petr Nálevka had been accused of breaking a
> normative schema when he made bug fixes and tightened the schemas with
> Schematron? Would it be a good idea if I'd be accused of breaking a
> normative schema if I tightened the schemas further by e.g. using the
> datatype library that I've been developing for HTML5? (
> http://hsivonen.iki.fi/html5-datatypes/ )

Well, according to this logic, shouldn't be then proponents of HTML5
accused? ;-D

>> I think that problem is in education here -- it is not a big deal to
>> show and explain difference between valid and conformant document.
>
> To me, it seems that the WHATWG is interested in people producing
> conforming documents but not interested in a lesser notion of validity
> that is based on the arbitrary limitations of a particular schema language.

But it would be easier if they will define additional constraints on top
of schema validity then to duplicate work which can be easily expressed
using schemas.

                   Nejbližší termíny školení:
** XML pro vývojáře 19.-22.3.2007 ** XML schémata 16.-18.4.2007 **
        ** XSL-FO 15.-16.5.2007 ** DocBook 26.-28.6.2007 **
  http://xmlguru.cz    Blog mostly about XML for English readers

OpenPGP digital signature