Re: [xml-dev] Rick Jelliffe quotable quote on the purpose of schemas

Michael Kay wrote:
>>"The flaw with grammars is that they only allow to constraint
>>content models in a declarative manner
>

> There's nothing wrong with constraints being declarative

Except that you will need 3000 tags to express all that people expect
and will expect.

The set of all declarative constraints is a subset of all constraints
expressible (not necessary declarative).

However, there is always a mean to turn a non-declarative constraint to
a declarative one : just add the new tag that expresses what you want.
<acme:the-number-of-cells-must-be-the-same-in-all-columns-of-the-table/>
This is a curious declaration, but a declaration anyway. I can express
it in an Active Schema without implementing this silly tag.

I only argue that instead of making a "tag race", there is a better way
to do things : allow to mix imperative instructions with declarative
sentences, which is applyable not only for schemata, but for operating
tag libs in general. If there is a component behind a tag, the hierarchy
of the components expressed with an XML document is static, but can
becomes dynamic if alternative statements are allowed. Of course, a new
level of indirection is added, but a great number of tags may be saved.

So, it's more simple.

  - in fact, they

--
Cordialement,