Re: [xml-dev] json v. xml

derek denny-brown wrote:
> These questions seem to be falling into the same trap that Dare
> complained about.  JSON is a simple single solution to a whole set of
> problems.  It addresses cross-domain access.  It is fast.  It is easy
> to use.  On every account, XML fares worse.

I call B.S. on this one.

> JSON is just object serialization.

And that is its flaw. JSON is a nice 80/20 solution to one problem, but
no more than that. The world is not serialized objects. XML is not
serialized objects.

> I sure hope not.  I've always found the DOM a horribly awkward
> programming model.  It was a valiant attempt at building an API that
> supports both text-markup XML and data-serialization XML, but the
> strain from being stretched by two very different use-cases shows.

Not really. DOM sucks but that's not at all why it sucks. The reasons
include backwards compatibility with early poorly designed browser DOMs,
a cross-platform language design that limits it to a least common
denominator, and design by committee. The need to support both
text-markup XML and data-serialization XML really doesn't factor into it.

Check out XOM or E4X sometime to see what a really clean XML object
model can look like without needing to subset the documents it can support.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!