RE: [xml-dev] json v. xml

JSON is a wire-wheel for a small sports car.   Reinvention there is fine.

There are similar arguments going on in other lists such as calls for
simplifications of X3D.   The pattern is this:  as long as a system is
closed (say single platform or single application) it can be simple and it
rely on in-house/in-world/platform tools.   Examples of that are
historically VMS, Wysiwyg/Macintosh, SecondLife and so on.   As soon as it
has to operate cross-platform in an open system, it will begin to become
complex as controls emerge to coordinate and filter multiple incompatible
requirements from the different application genre.  In the case of X3D, it
is the VR pundits vs the visualization pundits, and the script kiddies vs
the Java programmers.  (Just to be ornery, I much prefer the curly syntax
over the XML encoding when it comes to graphics.  PFE is kinder to curly.)

It's a force model with multiple domains and attractors.   One ends up with
a gnarly looking space that has some flat broad spots in them.  All of the
people living in those spots keep telling the people living on the peaks
that they can flatten their part of the space and live in the flatland with
them and everyone will enjoy the exact same happiness.  The people on the
peaks refuse to come down because they like the longer view and don't mind
the loneliness because they are happier.

And so it will go.

JSON vs XML is not a technical debate.  It is a political debate.  So was
SGML vs WYSIWYG.   As the WYSIWYGERs attempted to put hypermedia features in
their systems, they began to adopt the techniques of the SGML 'losers' and
soon they had to reinvent SGML and here we are today.  As the SGMLers
attempted to become WYSIWYG, they build baroque toolkits that took rooms
full of people to manage and high-paid consultants to configure.

No, I don't expect SGML to be resurrected.  Too many luminaries might have
to admit they were wrong or that their religions of simplification are
near-sighted.  What I expect is to see this same debate repeated endlessly
at varying intervals for the rest of our careers and beyond.

It isn't the technology: it is the nature of information systems.  (... 'in
the stars...').

len