RE: [xml-dev] 2007 Predictions

Having just spent some time with VC reps, what you need is

a) A patent to obtain the classic Warren Buffet complexity moat.  They are
big believers in the 'get big fast' game even if the game is strangling the
innovation in the market.

b) An exit strategy for the VC that enables a 5 to 8 to 1 bump on the
investment.  At minimum, they want 25% at check out time.  They don't even
entertain the 'we can realize a ten percent profit a year' ideas because
that ties up their money for too long and the whole movement of wealth to
the upper tiers is based on fast turnaround high yield investing.  It
creates bubbles in the economy but your bubble is big enough, you can slide
through the pop.

Conversion tends to be a service, so unless you have a vendor or vendors
that are ignoring conversion and the customer is having to do it themselves,
this is not where the VCs want to go.  VCs tend not to like
services-industry ideas even if the business model is good and the idea is
sound because that is a production intensive business.  Private equity and
VCs aren't patient investors so the promotional rant that the 'private
equity can manage companies better and offer more flexibility over public
companies' tends to be hogwash for the company itself even if true for the
investors.  The employees take a beating; upper management and the equity
firm take the cash.  The customers take a skinning.

len