RE: [xml-dev] 2007 Predictions

From: Len Bullard [mailto:cbullard@hiwaay.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 1:58 PM
To: 'Kurt Cagle'
Cc: 'Nathan Young -X (natyoung - Artizen at Cisco)'; 'XML Developers List'
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] 2007 Predictions

> You are right about the ‘one generation got old, one generation got sold’
idea.
> Reinvention is what got us XML.   We just slap new names on it, give the
neo-pioneers credit f
> or the slave labor of others and rebrand for the sake of resale.  And so
it goes.

Yeah, but as Douglas Crockford so memorably put it "The good thing about
reinventing the wheel is that you can get a round one."
http://scripting.wordpress.com/2006/12/20/scripting-news-for-12202006/#comme
nt-26383  Each generation of this stuff is a bit rounder.

> On the other hand, I wonder about everything becoming declarative.  It
seems reasonable
> to those of us who are old enough to remember ...

Agreed. The declarative vs procedural discussion has been hot on and off
since at least the 1970s

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?FORM=&q=declarative+procedural+controver
sy
http://www.google.com/search?q=declarative+procedural+controversy

Web 1.0 pushed the pendulum toward the declarative (SQL + XSLT) side, Web
2.0 made the world safe for imperative Javascript, now XQueryP is proposed
to nudge XQuery in the imperative direction and LINQ is moving C# and VB in
the declarative direction.  That thing isn't going to stop swinging anytime
soon.