len

From: Michael Champion [mailto:mc@xegesis.org]

Yeah, but as Douglas Crockford so memorably put it "The good thing about
reinventing the wheel is that you can get a round one."
http://scripting.wordpress.com/2006/12/20/scripting-news-for-12202006/#comme
nt-26383  Each generation of this stuff is a bit rounder.

> On the other hand, I wonder about everything becoming declarative.  It
seems reasonable
> to those of us who are old enough to remember ...

Agreed. The declarative vs procedural discussion has been hot on and off
since at least the 1970s

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?FORM=&q=declarative+procedural+controver
sy
http://www.google.com/search?q=declarative+procedural+controversy

Web 1.0 pushed the pendulum toward the declarative (SQL + XSLT) side, Web
2.0 made the world safe for imperative Javascript, now XQueryP is proposed
to nudge XQuery in the imperative direction and LINQ is moving C# and VB in
the declarative direction.  That thing isn't going to stop swinging anytime
soon.