RE: [xml-dev] 2007 Predictions

Len Bullard writes;

> Yes.  Why do that?  It's harder and it locks everyone to the same
> flying pig.  Why not get the operating system services from the
> operating system
> and enable the high-performance applications to breathe instead of
> sucking in the bad air and polluted event systems that are so evident in
HTML?

I think this somewhat misses the point.  Absolutely you get richer
services and better performance on any given platform by using the native
services of a well designed OS.  That's been true since the day the Web
took off.  Nobody in their right mind would implement the UI for an
application like Excel purely in HTML.  So we agree on that.

What's not being discussed is why all this Web/HTML/XML stuff is so
valuable:  it's because of the shared, global information space that is
the Web.  It's always been true that you could do a fancier job of
presenting a weather report by using Windows GDI, OpenGL, native OS
threads, etc.  Maybe you can fly through those satellite images in 3D.
What you don't get out of that is the ability to share the weather report
with a few hundred million people, to cross link it to a travel
reservation hosted at a completely separate organization, and by the way
possibly using a different operating system.

Because the Web has proven so valuable, the capabilties of HTML, CSS and
related technologies have gradually improved to the point where they are
on good days capable of approximating effects that were formerly available
only with OS-native services.  For my money, Yahoo mail does a pretty good
job with Ajax trickery.  Nonetheless, as the Web stack has matured, the
bar has moved, and we now find increasingly robust stacks that provide not
only 3D, but also integrated animation, multimedia, alpha blending etc.
Once again, the tradeoff is between standardized interchange on the wire
and the highest fidelity rendering that the hardware can do.  I do think
there is a challenge to the Web stack to stay not too far behind.  If the
Web were just fixed pitch ASCII text, I doubt we'd find that an acceptable
compromise.  Indeed, one of the factors I've suggested we consider in the
great tag-soup/XHTML debate is the ability of the two approaches to evolve
as the expectations for richer documents and applications continues to
evolve.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation