Re: [xml-dev] Schematron and rule of least power (was Re: [xml-dev] 2007Predictions)

Yes, I agree that Schematron is a fine example of the Rule of Least Power
well applied, though IMO not quite because it builds on existing standards
like XSLT (a good thing for other reasons in any case).  I think the ROLP
asks of a language like Schematron:  "if you send me a document or program
in your language, can a straightforward tool extract the essence of what
the document is conveying?"  If you send me a Schematron schema, can my
tool easily grok the constraints that it is imposing?  In the case of
Schematron, you have basically assert(XPath) and/or report(XPath).  XPath
is a declarative language.  It doesn't take a lot of fancy reasoning or
unbounded processing time to figure out what the meaning of an arbitrary
XPath is.  So if I ask the question:  "Does Schematron Schema S report an
error if any "A" elements have descendents named "B", you can usually
answer that question quite easily.  If you were instead handed a
Javascript, C or Java program that checked your XML, it would probably be
a lot harder to answer that question.  So, that's why I think Schematron
is indeed a fine example of the ROLP.

> And if this means that only low-order logic is used, or there
> are some constraints that cannot be expressed, that is OK.

From the point of view of the ROLP, the use of low-order logic is more
than OK or tolerable, it's a key advantage, I think.  FWIW, XML Schema
content models are similarly "low power", and though I'm less expert with
them, I expect the same is true of RelaxNG grammars.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street