Re: [xml-dev] 2007 Predictions

On 1/20/07, Kurt Cagle <kurt.cagle@gmail.com> wrote:
[..]
> This is one of the reasons why I think the browser is such an incredibly
> powerful concept. It is the (largely accidental) embodiment of this
> principle - a general purpose toolkit for supporting an array of declarative
> languages. The browser by itself largely exists in potentia - the
> interesting work occurs once you start pouring the declarative languages
> into it. This is why I tend to believe that stand-alone applications will,
> one by one, be subsumed into a GP browser over time as the processing power
> supports it - not because I think that the browser is any more efficient (it
> most certainly isn't) but because processors are now reaching a stage where
> the inefficiencies of the browser are becoming less of an issue then they
> were 1, 5 or 10 years ago.
>
> Context change is disruptive for most people - they don't want to leave the
> application that they are in to change contexts to another application
> unless they absolutely have to. I'd love to run Photoshop in my browser, to
> run Poser in my browser, to do all my word processing there - not because I
> LOVE my browser, but because all of these things ultimately have
> interdependencies - information I need for an article will be on the web, my
> communication IMs are done in the context of shared information in other
> spaces, and so forth.

You will love to see my framework for editing websites. Theres a XUL
based editor for templates, css and javascript ...everything run with
the browser itself.  It work mostly like a Wiki, not only dont need to
open 1 different program to create a new page, but you can switch tabs
with a click. The energy barrier to do anything is almost 0.

[ Theres only a problem, I use textareas to write code, and tabs
unfocus the textares. Theres black magic to almost fix that problem. ]

Not only I agree with you, I already live on the utopia land you describe :D