Re: [xml-dev] Too much power? was RE: [xml-dev] 2007 Predictions

As far as I can tell, and I've been listening to Bill Gates almost since
day 1 (we're approx the same age, which leads to an occasional crisis of
confidence in abilities) however I can only remember 1 guiding message
from Microsoft - and that's Bill's vision of the computer as the
ubiquitous center of our lives  (running his software of course) - in
our homes, offices, cars, wherever. I don't think that has ever changed
and almost every Microsoft decision becomes easy to understand in that
context.

Unlike many of us, particular technologies aren't the point - so XML is
used if it's useful. If JSON is more useful, use it. If building a XUL
engine allows a competitor to get some acknowledgment, than don't -
build XAML; etc.

If the W3C had created a layout vocabulary and if Microsoft adopted it,
then we wouldn't be discussing some of these things - much of AJAX is
really about layout. And a good layout engine (as opposed to tables and
divs which are very clunky and inconsistently implemented) is something
that is desperately needed. XUL is ok, but has issues with dynamic data
lengths and is not available for explorer (which means my clients can't
get on a random pc in say an internet lounge or hotel and use our
applications). It is at least declarative.

Dojo is still beta and not recommended for production :(

And there's no plans for XAML on firefox (i think, but not entirely sure).

I'm losing the plot here, but you can at least get my frustration as an
application builder trying to deliver advanced features to a wide
audience using the web. I agree with Len - in many ways we were more
advanced 20 years ago.

Rick