RE: [xml-dev] 2007 Predictions

I really like this assessment of the nature of the web as 'largely
boring'. I reckon this to be one of the strengths of it nowadays.

The business user of the Internet can feel assured of getting paid
when the work is hum-drum because the business is separate from
the pleasure. Upper management though can get the pleasurable
bits like 3XD in their reports so that is more like the leisure use of
the Internet (executive toys). So to do it as a job, keep it boring
(maybe even showing the 'tags' now and then), but to sell it to the
leisure market use video, games and clever graphics: Not always
the rule of course but it seems to apply where business documents
are concerned. Too much pleasure and it becomes the domain of
pleasure-seekers and executives. Too little and they pay you to do
it for them. :-)

All the best

Stephen Green

>>> "Len Bullard" <cbullard@hiwaay.net> 21/01/07 19:11:33 >>>
Noah, it makes the point exactly:  if the performance sucks, the fun goes
out of it and then it becomes a boring repetitive and largely uncreative
means of embedding moving gimlets inside infinite texts.   The web today is
largely boring.  That is why Second Life, World of Warcraft, YouTube and so
on are the new kids on the block.   I'll come back to these later in my
curmudgeonly pursuit of these topics because imitating them is also not the
best place to fish.

The globally shared information space does not exist because of the browser.
It exists because of the largely shared and limited dimensionality of
URI-based linking which even Tim Bray is admitting some years later is
inadequate to create a persistent reliable address space, but hey, better
late than never.  It exists because the hypertext pioneers who used advanced
means were pushed aside by amateurs using impoverished means, and it
triumphed over the masses the same way Bill Haley and The Comets triumphed
over Cole Porter.   I understand what you are saying, but remember, it is
the glorification of mediocrity which although democratic is also easily led
by its nose to smell the Glade air refresher mechanically masking the scent
of an organically stinky room.

The web has now been fielded long enough that we have by popular acclamation
and marketing machination had two whole versions of it.  The new one is
almost as good as the desktops of twenty years ago.   For all of the
announcements and pronouncements on this list about how 'everyone who is
anyone builds for the web because all the important innovations are there',
the truth is by easy comparison, it is a medium that remains a decade and a
half behind its desktop parent in the same way that rock remained behind the
jazz players that preceded it for two decades (the break even point being
Steely Dan, after which it plunged back into merciless mediocrity with the
rise of punk and thrash).

I am not unhappy about that and the Geico ads don't depress my Neanderthal
forehead.  But I have to stick to the truth here and the truth is that thin
is skinny and server-side is fat and in combination, they are still slow and
not that entertaining.  They are just as AM radio was in 1960, quite
ubiquitous so if you are recording and mixing for monaural sound, go for it.

Otherwise, you may want to start looking at browser-less applications, rich
in controls, rich in content, and created for those who simply don't mind a
15 minute download if after that, they can now play in a very entertaining,
fast moving, ever changing and even financially rewarding world.   From this
point forward, making money inside the HTML browser will be like extracting
oil from shale.  You can but you can also drill.

I don't want to build apps as good as Excel.  There is only one Beatles, one
Elvis and one Brian Jones.  I don't want to be them.  Most of them are dead.
Even if I don't have hits, I want to sell to 17 year old boys and girls who
are a little disenchanted with Mom and Dad's World Wide Web and who still
buy in Wal-Mart if they can be the first in high school to have one.

They want their own small and very fast moving world.  Webs are for spiders
and mosquitos.

len