RE: [xml-dev] Too much power? was RE: [xml-dev] 2007 Predictions

Flash is not an MU engine and not what is needed for real-time 3D with a
free-roaming environment.

A second mistake is to think of real-time 3D as games technology.  Games a
genre of 3D, but games have performance requirements that usually, not
always, but usually require some assumptions about the content construction
that one doesn't necessarily make for all real-time 3D genre.  There is
overlap, but it isn't isomorphic.  That is why I don't consider gamers as
the pioneers of community systems or even the ultimate winners, although the
overlaps are there.

What one finds in the entertainment genre are common objectives, but a
real-time 3D entertainment package is not necessarily a game and the web is
not necessarily the only or best distribution channel.

Boeing and the rest of the aircraft industry has been moving in that
direction since before there was a web.  I worked on these projects for
General Electric in the 80s.  Distributed enterprise engineering was
considered lunacy then, but it turned out to be exactly the right way to go
about solving the problems of building very large complex systems relying on
world wide talent.

I'm not saying the Internet isn't a good platform.  I'm saying an HTML web
browser is not always the best host and XML isn't always the optimum means
to exchange data, and it certainly isn't always the best way to schlep code.
It sits in the middle spot where scripts supported by distributed objects
can use a mediocre but ubiquitous addressing system.   The web is not yet
the best it can be but it will take a decade of fresh developers to make
progress.  My generation is done and yours is already settling into being
comfortably numb.   The seventeen year old kids about to enter the market
think and dream in 3D and they are the ones you need to prepare for just as
we prepared for yours.

len

From: Robert Koberg [mailto:rob@koberg.com]

Or you could use Flash.

another thread/message...
> Spent any time looking at how the security training for the upcoming
> Olympics in Britain is being conducted?

it is pretty interesting how Boeing is building their new 787...