RE: [xml-dev] 2007 Predictions

Michael Champion writes:

> This finding reminds me of  the emperor in "Amadeus" telling Mozart that
he
> used too many notes.  If the Web really did follow the W3C's lead, the
> current state-of-the-art web applications would never have been
invented.
> These tend to download semi-opaque blobs of Javascript which open a side
> channel to the server for data, and the data tends to be JSON
serialization
> of internal objects more than declarative data. I can just hear Sir Tim
> saying "It's quality work. There is simply too much power.  Just cut
some of
> that power and it will be perfect." :-)

And if all the data on the Web were in this much more "current
state-of-the-art" style, would Google search do anything useful?  Would
its crawler run all those little client side front ends to make those side
connections to find out whether some useful information could be
extracted?  Or have we decided that things like Google search are passé
too?  The point is not that Ajax is bad, IMO, it's that the simple data
that feeds AJAX apps should not be entirely locked up in little private
point-to-point "side channels".  It should be published with URIs and in
easily consumed forms.  Then Google (and MS Live) crawlers can find the
flight listings, gas stations, real estate listings, or whatever.  If some
of the options for consuming that data really cool, dynamically downloaded
applications, that's cool:  you can still mash the listings into MS Live
Maps if you like.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation