RE: [xml-dev] Recent allegations about me

It isn't a consequence of XML.  XML made it easier to do by making
subsequent specifications contingent on a syntax agreement.  One then gets
some mileage out of the tools for files conforming to that syntax, but
otherwise, it is strictly a matter of being application appropriate.  As
I've said, X3D has been a good case where XML utility has been tested
because strictly speaking, a scene graph isn't a rooted hierarchy and the
XML syntax is overkill.

That said, multiple standards simply equate to multiple agreements or
communities of practice.  There is nothing wrong about that and there are
degrees to which some systems should be opened or closed.

I'm being facetious in some parts of my post, but I am also trying to evoke
a sense of the needless competition.   Take two religions such as Christian
Methodism and Buddhism which both acknowledge suffering.  My Methodist
Minister says that Buddhism is about removing suffering by doing away with
attachments.  He considers that cold means in contrast to the Christian way
that says that suffering is reduced by the acknowledgement of the Christ.  I
hesitate to correct him, but as Buddhism was taught to me by my Zen master,
life is suffering.  Meditation cannot remove it, but it can reduce it by
reducing needless attachments that lead to needless suffering.

If that example is orthogonal, seemingly, consider that multiple standards
and specifications often have the same aim:  to reduce needless work or
rework.  They go about it differently because they start with different
descriptions and different constraints.   Neither is inherently weak or
wrong, and both can be said to be equally true if they do indeed get the
same results.  But we don't do that.   We play at the Bitter Butter Battle
and increase the pain for everyone, and specifically, we punish our friends
like Rick or Tim.

In effect, we argue for the teacher instead of the results of the teaching.

And therefore, we suffer needlessly.

len