Re: [xml-dev] Recent allegations about me

Rick Marshall writes:

> Why? Well now there's 2 document storage standards which is an
> oxymoron. There is a standard or there isn't a
> standard.

I think the folks who sell wrenches in standard metric sizes and those who
sell in standard British sizes(is that what we still call them?) would be
surprised to find out that one of their products was necessarily
nonstandard after all, because surely there can be only one standard for
wrench sizes.  I believe that EBCDIC and ASCII were and are both de facto
and de jure standards to solve what is arguably the same problem.  There
are lots of other examples.  Whatever the other merits of either OOXML or
the other issues raised here regarding Wikipedia, I certainly think one
can have what appear to be overlapping standards, in the sense that there
are multiple standard solutions to the same or similar problem.  Whether
OOXML in particular is in fact really a "standard", and if so in what
senses (e.g. is it an open standard?) are questions I won't comment on
here.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation