Re: [xml-dev] Recent allegations about me

Original Message From: <noah_mendelsohn us.ibm.com>

> Rick Marshall writes:
>
>> Why? Well now there's 2 document storage standards which is an
>> oxymoron. There is a standard or there isn't a
>> standard.
>
> I think the folks who sell wrenches in standard metric sizes and those who
> sell in standard British sizes(is that what we still call them?) would be
> surprised to find out that one of their products was necessarily
> nonstandard after all, ...

Isn't there also the old adage that "the wonderful thing about standards is
that here is so many to choose from!"

Only two standards seems quite good actually.  I remember working on ISDN
(Integrated Services Digital Network in case you've forgotten).  Europe had
64K channels where as most of the US had 56K channels.  Europe accessed
premises at the S/T interface and US at the U interface.  ITU issued the
main signalling standard as Q.931.  ETSI then mutated that for European use.
And then British Telecom mutated it even more for BT use (BTNR).  Similarly
US had their mutation of Q.931.  I'm sure those coders had great fun!

Pete.
Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware Ltd
for XML to C++ data binding visit