Re: [xml-dev] An element with more than one possible type

Hi Pau,

It's not possible to do this exactly how you want.  You could use schemas
xsi:type mechanism to approximate it.  In this case your last construct
would be defined as:

<xs:element  name="items">
        <xs:complexType>
                <xs:sequence>
                    <xs:element name="item" type="itemType"/>
                </xs:sequence>
        </xs:complexType>
</xs:element>

and your XML instance would become:

<items>
   <item xsi:type = "itemTypeWaterVolume" volume ="22"/>
   <item xsi:type = "itemTypeMeatWeight" weight = "10" />
</items>

Although you could use simpler names if you like.  (Also your restrictions
to itemTypeMeat and so on would not be required.)

You could also aim for something like:

<items>
   <itemTypeWaterVolume volume ="22"/>
   <itemTypeMeatWeight weight = "10" />
</items>

Other than that you would need something like Schematron (or wait for
assertions to appear in XSD1.1!)

HTH,

Pete.
Pete Cordell