RE: [xml-dev] Performance Vs Size of XSD + Extension of restriction

> I want my 'ChildType' to inherit the restrictions 'minLength'
> and 'whiteSpace' from 'OrigType' and has its own 'maxLength'.
> So will the following info solve the requirements relating to
> both syntax and semantics?
>
> <xs:simpleType name="OrigType">
> 	<xs:restriction base="xs:string">
> 		<xs:minLength value="1"/>
> 		<xs:maxLength value="20"/>
> 		<xs:whiteSpace value="collapse"/>
> 	</xs:restriction>
> </xs:simpleType>
>
> <xs:simpleType name="ChildType">
> 	<xs:restriction base="OrigType">
> 		<xs:maxLength value="40"/>
> 	</xs:restriction>
> </xs:simpleType>

No. When type R is derived from type B by restriction, then every valid
instance of R must also be a valid instance of B. So ChildType can't permit
things (such as strings of length 30) which OrigType prohibits.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/