Re: [xml-dev] Schematron Question: proper way to express the text version of assertions?

just to note the test should probably use the number function
number(EndTime) > number(StartTime) but of course this does not
allow us to do checks on three day meetings :)

as for your question I guess it depends.

I have a lot of crappy schematron error messages that were just
written by me having no time and having to translate cryptic
bureaucratic danish into english.

these are often in the form of
EndTime must be greater than StartTime

which people then call up and say huh?

One thing, from learning better, is that we have seperated out error
messages from the schematron file, the error messages are kept in an
external file, the schematron has an id on the assertion, the
schematron is run through a preprocessor and has the error message put
in. This allows someone other than me to hopefully write some clear
lengthy human comprehensible error messages like,

you have a meeting in which the EndTime comes before the StartTime,
the standard requires that the EndTime must always come after the
StartTime. Error ID number 25.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen