len

From: Michael Kay [mailto:mike@saxonica.com]

> On the other hand tech like CORBA and OSI that never achieved
> orbit or even left the launch pad in the first place are
> thoroughly dead.

It's a common fallacy in the US that OSI never left the launch pad. Huge OSI
networks were built in Europe, and some of them ran for 20 years. The
difference between an OSI network and a Fortran app is that it's easier to
keep a Fortran app alive as the world around it changes. So most of the big
OSI networks have indeed been dismantled in the last few years. It might be
dead now, but it's not true that it was never alive.

Not entirely sure of the relevance, but I hate to see wrong historical
statements, especially when used to justify predictions about the future...