Re: [xml-dev] More predictions to mull over

This is the conflict between tool-based and hand-written approaches.  We
cannot get away from the problem of handling value transactions using
non-transactional protocols (sometimes its really nice to have
transaction coordination across a comms link) and that is harder when
you have to code the tx restart/rollback yourself. The WS-* stuff is
tool dependent because of its complexity, and MS and others will provide
the tools and hide the horrible protocol complexity so programmers can
get on with the business problems and stop worrying about technical
ones.  Many developers will not even know that there is an alternative.
The issue is not interoperability in general, the issue in the longer
term is the ability to communicate between tools-based worlds and the
non-tools-based world.  This has implications for schema validation and
a whole lot of other things too.  In the tools-based universe, tool
support will drive acceptance of a technology more than function or
completeness will.  Complexity in the tools case is an issue for two
groups: tool developers and people wanting to hand-craft things that
talk to the tools world.

I agree that the WS-* set is terribly complex and god only knows what
edge cases some of those standards are really trying to deal with, but I
don't think that REST is enough of the answer all of the time.  We went
through this with distributed data transactions years ago until the
problem (mostly) sank into the infrastructure and as an aside it is
interesting that concern with transactional integrity seems to have
declined as the years have gone by.

Greg

Elliotte Harold wrote:
> Michael Champion wrote:
>
>> Maybe you don't see the problem because you are happy writing custom
>> integrations, one system at a time. Eric is talking about
>> standardizing that process so that his customers don't have to figure
>> out how to map each application's data and protocols laboriously onto
>> XML+HTTP, reinventing 90% every time. They want to put that common
>> 90% into the infrastructure and just build on top of it.
>
> I guess I'm not convinced that there is a 90% or even 50% commonality
> to these systems that can be taken advantage of. If there is (and
> there might be) I don't think WS-* has managed to find it. Ws-* adds
> so much complexity and confusion to the process that it is easily more
> costly and complex than doing custom integrations one system at a time.
>
> Could somebody find a way to hit the 90% point better without all the
> extra complexity WS-* brings to the table? Maybe. I haven;t noticed it
> yet if anyone's done it.
   snip...