Re: [ubl-dev] Top 10 uses of XML in 2007

"The vendors who really can't live with XML won't be able to stomach binary XML either."

Not sure the point here is too sound though. Not every vendor "can't live with XML".
What about those who've embraced XML and found a golden opportunity to add
performance to make it comparable with other technologies and customer demands
by adding the binary too. Maybe this prediction will be off the mark. I hope so. If
everything (and that is a lot of things in ICT!) has to be text then we could have a
big problem selling solutions to savvy customers. I don't see it really. People know that
binary is usually necessary and more likely it is 'text only' which is the pipe dream.
Look at office documents. They are XML, sure, but they are zipped and therefore a
type of binary XML, and the customers probably wouldn't really have it any other way.
Storage, rpc and messaging requirements are all very different and not all look good
in text.

All the best

Stephen Green

>>> "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info> 14/02/07 18:09:51 >>>
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-xml2007predictions.html

Interesting round-up - I agree APP is of strong interest. RSS is the
largest use of XML on the planet - so APP a natural next step.

This aligns well with the new REST work we're starting for ebXML
registry as well.

Forms - XForms and AJAX clearly will converge in their methods if not
their syntax.

But look what the article says about WS-* - I hate to keep harping on
this - but I'm seeing my prediction of how this will shape out:

1) DIY web services
2) ebXML
3) WS-*

being confirmed here...

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)