Re: [xml-dev] Re: [ubl-dev] Top 10 uses of XML in 2007

Many thanks

I thought I'd misunderstood you. Apologies for pressing it so much.

I guess the issue then is over how much advantage there is in
using a schema to improve the compression.

All the best

Steve

Stephen Green wrote:

> Take an Excel file. Convert it to Open Office. Then zip both and
> compare the sizes. They are roughly equal.

Stop. I'm perfectly happy to zip (or bzip or gzip or whatever) files
before sending. I'm also happy to stick them in tar archives or other
formats too before sending them. This is not what's at issue though.

The question is whether we define a new uncompressed binary format. That
seems unnecessary to me for most use cases.

A lot of people in the wireless and small device space are not happy
with the answer that they should just gzip before sending and ungzip
when receiving. That eats too much battery life for them. For everyone
else, worrying about anything beyond gzip is a complete waste of time
and resources.

--
*Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo@metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!