Re: [xml-dev] When parsing speed matters (was Re: [xml-dev] No XML Binaries? BuyHardware)

Without commenting on the performance of particular products such as IBM's
Datapower boxes, I think there are a few others factor that haven't been
adequately mentioned:

* These boxes can be an attractive way to put more CPUs to work.  Yes, for
embarrassingly parallel applications (sometimes web serving) you can get a
fair amount of scaleout by adding general purpose computers or blades to
your system, but there's overhead of various sorts for that.  You're
running more copies of a general purpose operating system, tuned to
multiprogram lots of general purpose applications, Java VMs, or whatever
in parallel.  Furthermore, for many applications, adding computers does
not scale your throughput linearly, for a variety of reasons.  If you've
got enough XML work to justify it, using outboard processors for even
basic XML parsing, validation and deserialization gives you a good way to
put more computers to work.  Furthermore, because the work is specialized,
the software overhead associated with the operating system, buffer
management, context switching, etc. may mean you get more XML work done on
those boxes than you would >using the same XML software< on your general
purpose processsor.  The analogy I use is to the CPUs in your printer: for
years there was debate whether to do rasterization in your main computer
or in a chip in the printer.  Either will do the job, and as far as I know
both solutions more or less work these days (though printer resolutions
have gotten high enough and page feed speeds fast enough that you need a
pretty fast link to send a full rasterization to a printer without slowing
it down.)  Anyway, where the dust mostly settled was:  CPUs and their
support chips are cheap, and there are easy ways to move the processing
outboard, so lots of printers to the final rendering on an outboard CPU in
the printer.  Sometimes that's because there are custom chips in there,
but often not.  The same software would in principle run as fast in the
main computer:  it's just a significant bit of work you can move outboard.
 Regarding David Megginson's claim that low level XML overhead is perhaps
a few % of overall application CPU time:  I think there are
counterexamples in the high performance Web Services world, but I don't
have the numbers here to back up my claim.

* Depending on your needs, there may be less management cost to a black
box that "just does one thing", than to deploying extra general purpose
computers that need to be backed up, secured, etc. in ways that more fixed
function boxes may not require.

So, I don't think the justification for outboard boxes depends entirely on
custom hardware, or claiming that they can do more XML work per CPU cycle
than traditional software.  There are other factors involved too.

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142