Re: [xml-dev] When parsing speed matters (was Re: [xml-dev] No XML Binaries? BuyHardware)

Stefan Tilkov wrote:

> Just curious: If XML Gateways are used for 'deserialization', what is
> the textual XML representation deserialized to?

Good catch.  I'm not sure I meant deserialization, because whatever the
box does, it has to put something back on the wire, unless it has shared
memory with the main application system.  Frankly, the crept into my note
because in our writeups of our XML Screamer project, the phrase "parsing,
validation and deserialization" appears a lot.  Here, I mean't something
more along the lines of: parsing, validaiton, transformation, signature
checking, etc.

As to what goes back on the wire, it's an issue in any case, and I think
there are different answers for different boxes.  In some cases, where the
point is more transformation or signature checking, I think the answer is
that what goes on the wire is plain old text XML, but that XML may have
been transformed, decrypted and signature-checked, so it's much more
"ready to go" when received by the main computer.  I think some systems
may use proprietary binary formats, but I'm not sure about that.  Again,
none of this should be taken as a statement about IBM's Datapower products
in particular:  Rich Salz can answer questions about them.

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142