Re: [xml-dev] RDDL documents

OASIS has been using RDDL 2.0 for namespace documents [4].
W3C has been using RDDL 1.0 for namespace documents [5].
WADL also has a RDDL 1.0 namespace document. [5]

[4] and [5] are bookmarks of these examples.

[4] http://del.icio.us/mitrepauld/xmlns+rddl+2.0
[5] http://del.icio.us/mitrepauld/xmlns+rddl+1.0

I had proposed [6] using RDDL as a UDDI "taxonomy
document" where the overviewURL of a UDDI tModel
points to a RDDL document, which can then point
to various artifacts associated with the
taxonomy.  For example, if there is an OWL
representation of the taxonomy, the RDDL document
could point to it with an appropriate
rddl:nature, or use a different rddl:nature to
point to a different representation (e.g., one
that can be imported into a Systinet UDDI
registry).  My hope was that tools that deal with
taxonomies could discover taxonomies registered
in UDDI, then retrieve the RDDL, then retrieve
the representation that the tool could import to
work with the taxonomy locally.  I have been
frustrated with the slow response time of some
UDDI deployments that have round trips to the
server every time I drill down a level of a
taxonomy.  Having a local copy of all or part of
a taxonomy would hopefully provide better
response time and improve the usability of the
taxonomy.  You probably won't find this idea for
RDDL "being used in the wild" currently.

[6] http://del.icio.us/mitrepauld/rddl+uddi

Paul