RE: [xml-dev] When parsing speed matters (was Re: [xml-dev] NoXML Binaries? Buy Hardware)

If legacy products took one minute but cost more, my view
is they'd keep spending the money and asking for 1 minute.

A key scenario here is not so much use of database, but
where they are using a database but getting the data out
of it as XML (runtime, batch on demand and scheduled
batch).

This plus where legacy systems took data from database,
sent it over a VAN link to another party or over a network
to another system and where replacements of that with
XML are expected not to include an extra time factor due
to a newer technology. Time delay might result in timeouts
and lost business (if, say, the document from the database
was an order).

Pretty standard stuff :-)

All the best and many thanks

Stephen Green

>>> "Michael Kay" <mike@saxonica.com> 26/02/07 21:31:14 >>>
> > *cough*While I love XML as everybody else on this mail list,  HUGE
> > perfomances problems that ask for hardware can be a sign on the sky
> > some people is using XML where a relational database can be
> > better*cough*

Well I've had someone recently complaining(!) that Saxon takes 15 minutes to
process their 15 Gbyte XML file, and that was my reaction too. But I think
they are actually taking a real-time data feed and selecting the data they
want to put in the database, which seems a reasonable approach.

What I don't know is how much they would be prepared to pay for a solution
that processed the same file in 1 minute. That's the test.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/