Re: [xml-dev] Speed in Languages and Browser Architectures

Tei writes:

> On a web browser, javascript is integrated into the browser. This mean
> a JS script is directly evaluated, while a Java applet need to load
> the virtual machine.

Typically true, but the details are quite implementation dependent.  I
think it's fair to say that viewed from far enough away, the Browser/Java
pairing is quite similar architecturally to the Browser/.Net Common
language runtime pairing.  I haven't measured it myself, but I'm told that
Microsoft put a lot of effort into lowering the overhead in crossing from
ordinary (unmanaged) code such as you might find in a native browser, into
code in the VM.  I seem to recall claims as low as 4 machine instructions
or so to get in and probably similar to return.  Most of the Java calling
interfaces had much higher overhead last time I checked.  I don't think
there's anything inherent in Java that would make it harder to optimize
than .Net, but perhaps there is.  I suspect that the difference may be in
whether you carry enough context to allow the C code to do things like
return Java objects to the garbage collector, which is a design choice
available in either case.

Anyway, I think there's an important principle at work here:  when you
measure something like the JavaScript/Browser pair and show that it can
run at a certain high speed you've proven that it's possible to go at
least that fast.  When you measure the Browser/Java pairing and show that
it's slower, you've only proven that there exists a slow implementation.
You haven't really demonstrated much about what's possible in principle.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street