RE: [xml-dev] Generic vs Specific WSDL

Hi Dave,
I've been through this discussion as well and in the end, there was a
decision to use the payload schema.  In essence, the generic wsdl just
renders the soap message as a less useful envelope that is discarded (hence
the REST comment from Stefan).  Now most people end up discarding it anyway,
but somewhere you need to model the expected request-responses.  If it isn't
in your wsdl, then you need to accommodate this in the application.  What is
the application expected to respond with?  What should it do if it fails?
How will it know what to validate the payload with?  These questions need to
be answered somewhere.  Why not put them in the wsdl so that it is part of
the explicit agreement between trading partners.  If you push this into the
application, you run the risk of people making assumptions that later become
problems.

At least those were some of the arguments we experienced.
FWIW.
Cheers,
Paul

W. Paul Kiel
XmlHelpline.com
"eXtensible Solutions"
Specializing in Xml, Xslt, web services, and data integration.