BOM and encodings questions

Hello,

.1.

If an XML document starts with the FF FE BOM (UTF-16, little endian) but the encoding is set to “UTF-8” in the prolog, what is the expected behavior of the Parser?

I think that the parser should respect the BOM, read the prolog assuming it is encoded in UTF-16 little endian and then process the remaining of the XML document in UTF-8 as the prolog says.

Is this correct?

.2.

Is an XML parser expected to process a document in alternating encodings? I mean, is there a way to signal the parser that from a certain point on the encoding changes to some other encoding? If so, how?

.3.

Is there a way to express the expected encoding of the XML document in the XML Schema? If so, how?

Thanks.

Shlomo