From: Shlomo Yona [mailto:S.Yona@F5.com]
Sent: 30 May 2007 06:33
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: [xml-dev] namespaces support decision table

Hello,

I am trying to understand the impact of schema hints and evidence from XML documents on the proper handling of namespaces. Here is what I came up with

a. Name is qualified in XML Schema: yes/no

b. Name is prefixed in XML document: yes/no (default namespace is also considered as a prefix, the empty string prefix, for this discussion’s sake)

c. Prefix for name is defined in XML document: yes/no

There are 8 possibilities for the above criterions.

An error should be issued (not necessarily same error in all cases) in all cases except for the following three:

a==b==c==0

a==1 b==0 c==1

a==1 b==1 c==1

My question is, are these indeed all possibilities? Are there other factors that need to be considered? Is my understanding correct?

Thanks.

Shlomo.