RE: [xml-dev] A question about the future of efficient XML

Predicting the future is always difficult, and I can't claim a good track
record at it. However, one of the rules is that the more entrenched a
technology is, the harder it is to displace it with something better.
Remember the 3.5inch floppy? It disappeared in the end, but not until there
was a technology that was about 500 times better, and even then it took at
least five years between obsolescence and extinction.

And with textual vs binary XML, you don't just have to overcome inertia, you
have to overcome the fact that a textual format has very considerable
advantages in terms of the ability of humans to read and edit the content
directly. Look at the xsl-list - how many people would offer free advice and
help on debugging XSLT stylesheets if the source documents were supplied in
binary rather than textual form? Human performance is much more important
than machine performance.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/